Open air summer 2014: festivals for every key
Summer in Bavaria is high season for open air festivals: whether it is classical, rock & pop or reggae on the banks of a lake, there is the perfect event for every taste.
They include large events offering international stars, progressive festivals with multicultural programmes such as Tollwood in Munich, and festivals at a regional level that often have a good nose for new talents on the scene. And it is not all about music – the festival calendar also features summer nights at open air cinemas in city parks and knights' tournaments, for example.
The TOLLWOOD Summer Festival in Munich is a great attraction with more than 50 bands from Munich and around the world, as well as a modern circus on the theatre island. The programme of the Herrenchiemsee Festspiele ranges from Mozart to Locke and Bruckner and runs until 27th July.
In early August, the Taubertal-Festival turns idyllic Rothenburg ob der Tauber into a Mecca for pop and rock fans. The three stages are surrounded by green and right on the banks of the Tauber. Want to know more? There are plenty of other festivals to choose from in Bavaria:
- Frankenfestspiele Röttingen (25th May-17th August 2014)
- Luisenburg-Festspiele Wunsiedel (26th May-30th August)
- Carl Orff Festspiele Andechs (14th June-3rd August)
- Kaltenberger Ritterturnier (knights' tournament; 11th-13th, 18th-20th and 25th-27th July)
- European Weeks in Passau (20th June-27th July)
- Seewärts Festival Chiemsee (26th July)
- Herrenchiemsee Festspiele (15th-27th July)
- Bluetone Festival on the Danube (16th-20th July)