What do investors need to know before starting their own company in Bavaria? And what do they need to take into account during their stay to make sure they are on the right side of the law? You can find answers to these questions in this category.

Citizens of Europe and the EU

As a citizen of a European or EU country, you do not usually need a visa to enter Germany, nor do you need to apply for a residency or work permit. You can work in Bavaria at any time. However, because restrictions are currently in place for some European countries, separate permits must be applied for in these cases from the Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung (ZAV) of the Federal Employment Agency, in order to work in Germany. More details and information can be gained from the local foreigner registration offices in Bavaria (see list of links).

Citizens of other countries

Citizens of all other countries require a residency permit which explicitly allows you to work in Germany. In accordance with the German Residence Act, the following residency permits exist (August 2012):



  • Visa
  • Permission to reside (a limited-period residency permit)
  • An EU Blue Card (a limited-period residency permit for highly-qualified workers)
  • Settlement permit (an unlimited residency permit which authorises you to work)
  • EU permanent residency permit (an unlimited residency permit which allows you to work; you can apply for it when you have legally lived in Germany for five years)



More details and information can be gained from the local foreigner registration offices in Bavaria (see list of links).

The migration check provided by the Federal Employment Agency offers an initial point of reference to find out whether you will have any problems working in Bavaria.




Your contact:


Would you like to receive monthly information on interesting topics on Bavaria as a location?
Then subscribe now to our newsletter.

We are there for you locally, worldwide

Are you looking for a new company location? We provide you with all the important information and top support for your investment project. Our representative supports you locally in your national language. In addition, our contact in Bavaria is happy to advise you, too. Our service is free and confidential.
Jan Danisman 450 Lexington, Fl 4 10017 New York +1 212 317-0588
Antonia Zierer 388 Market Street, Suite 1050 94111 San Francisco +1 415 362-1001
Christian Gnam Prinzregentenstr. 22 80538 München +49 89 24210-7506